• Milling Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Mill
- (n.) The act or employment of grinding or passing through a mill; the process of fulling; the process of making a raised or intented edge upon coin, etc.; the process of dressing surfaces of various shapes with rotary cutters. See Mill.
• Mill Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A machine used for expelling the juice, sap, etc., from vegetable tissues by pressure, or by pressure in combination with a grinding, or cutting process; as, a cider mill; a cane mill.
- (n.) A common name for various machines which produce a manufactured product, or change the form of a raw material by the continuous repetition of some simple action; as, a sawmill; a stamping mill, etc.
- (n.) A building or collection of buildings with machinery by which the processes of manufacturing are carried on; as, a cotton mill; a powder mill; a rolling mill.
- (n.) To shape, finish, or transform by passing through a machine; specifically, to shape or dress, as metal, by means of a rotary cutter.
- (n.) To pass through a fulling mill; to full, as cloth.
- (n.) To beat with the fists.
- (n.) An excavation in rock, transverse to the workings, from which material for filling is obtained.
- (n.) To make a raised border around the edges of, or to cut fine grooves or indentations across the edges of, as of a coin, or a screw head; also, to stamp in a coining press; to coin.
- (n.) A machine for grinding and polishing; as, a lapidary mill.
- (n.) A money of account of the United States, having the value of the tenth of a cent, or the thousandth of a dollar.
- (n.) A hardened steel roller having a design in relief, used for imprinting a reversed copy of the design in a softer metal, as copper.
- (n.) To reduce to fine particles, or to small pieces, in a mill; to grind; to comminute.
- (n.) To roll into bars, as steel.
- (n.) A pugilistic.
- (n.) A machine for grinding or comminuting any substance, as grain, by rubbing and crushing it between two hard, rough, or intented surfaces; as, a gristmill, a coffee mill; a bone mill.
- (v. i.) To swim under water; -- said of air-breathing creatures.
- (n.) A passage underground through which ore is shot.
- (n.) A milling cutter. See Illust. under Milling.
- (v. i.) To move in a circle, as cattle upon a plain.
- (v. i.) To undergo hulling, as maize.
- (v. i.) To swim suddenly in a new direction; -- said of whales.
- (v. t.) To fill (a winze or interior incline) with broken ore, to be drawn out at the bottom.
- (v. t.) To cause to mill, or circle round, as cattle.
- (v. i.) To take part in a mill; to box.
- (n.) Short for Treadmill.
- (n.) The raised or ridged edge or surface made in milling anything, as a coin or screw.