• Mordant Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Any sticky matter by which the gold leaf is made to adhere.
- (a.) Serving to fix colors.
- (a.) Biting; caustic; sarcastic; keen; severe.
- (v. t.) To subject to the action of, or imbue with, a mordant; as, to mordant goods for dyeing.
- (n.) Any corroding substance used in etching.
- (n.) Any substance, as alum or copperas, which, having a twofold attraction for organic fibers and coloring matter, serves as a bond of union, and thus gives fixity to, or bites in, the dyes.
• Mordanting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Mordant
• Mordantly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In the manner of a mordant.