• Mortar Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To plaster or make fast with mortar.
- (n.) A short piece of ordnance, used for throwing bombs, carcasses, shells, etc., at high angles of elevation, as 45┴, and even higher; -- so named from its resemblance in shape to the utensil above described.
- (n.) A chamber lamp or light.
- (n.) A strong vessel, commonly in form of an inverted bell, in which substances are pounded or rubbed with a pestle.
- (n.) A building material made by mixing lime, cement, or plaster of Paris, with sand, water, and sometimes other materials; -- used in masonry for joining stones, bricks, etc., also for plastering, and in other ways.