• Mortifying Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Mortify
- (a.) Tending to mortify; affected by, or having symptoms of, mortification; as, a mortifying wound; mortifying flesh.
- (a.) Tending to humble or abase; humiliating; as, a mortifying repulse.
- (a.) Subduing the appetites, desires, etc.; as, mortifying penances.
• Mortify Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To affect with vexation, chagrin, or humiliation; to humble; to depress.
- (v. t.) To deaden by religious or other discipline, as the carnal affections, bodily appetites, or worldly desires; to bring into subjection; to abase; to humble.
- (v. i.) To lose vitality and organic structure, as flesh of a living body; to gangrene.
- (v. t.) To destroy the active powers or essential qualities of; to change by chemical action.
- (v. t.) To destroy the organic texture and vital functions of; to produce gangrene in.
- (v. i.) To be subdued; to decay, as appetites, desires, etc.
- (v. i.) To practice penance from religious motives; to deaden desires by religious discipline.
• Mortifyingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a mortifying manner.