• Mortuaries Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Mortuary
• Mortuary Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the dead; as, mortuary monuments.
- (a.) A burial place; a place for the dead.
- (a.) A place for the reception of the dead before burial; a deadhouse; a morgue.
- (a.) A sort of ecclesiastical heriot, a customary gift claimed by, and due to, the minister of a parish on the death of a parishioner. It seems to have been originally a voluntary bequest or donation, intended to make amends for any failure in the payment of tithes of which the deceased had been guilty.