• Motion Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A puppet show or puppet.
- (n.) An application made to a court or judge orally in open court. Its object is to obtain an order or rule directing some act to be done in favor of the applicant.
- (v. i.) To make a significant movement or gesture, as with the hand; as, to motion to one to take a seat.
- (v. t.) To direct or invite by a motion, as of the hand or head; as, to motion one to a seat.
- (n.) Change of pitch in successive sounds, whether in the same part or in groups of parts.
- (v. t.) To propose; to move.
- (n.) Movement of the mind, desires, or passions; mental act, or impulse to any action; internal activity.
- (n.) The act, process, or state of changing place or position; movement; the passing of a body from one place or position to another, whether voluntary or involuntary; -- opposed to rest.
- (n.) Change in the relative position of the parts of anything; action of a machine with respect to the relative movement of its parts.
- (v. i.) To make proposal; to offer plans.
- (n.) Power of, or capacity for, motion.
- (n.) A proposal or suggestion looking to action or progress; esp., a formal proposal made in a deliberative assembly; as, a motion to adjourn.
- (n.) Direction of movement; course; tendency; as, the motion of the planets is from west to east.
• Motion picture Definition & Synonyms
- () A moving picture.