• Muff Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A failure to hold a ball when once in the hands.
- (n.) A stupid fellow; a poor-spirited person.
- (n.) A soft cover of cylindrical form, usually of fur, worn by women to shield the hands from cold.
- (n.) The whitethroat.
- (n.) A blown cylinder of glass which is afterward flattened out to make a sheet.
- (n.) A short hollow cylinder surrounding an object, as a pipe.
- (v. t.) To handle awkwardly; to fumble; to fail to hold, as a ball, in catching it.
• Muffler Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who muffles.
- (n.) A kind of mitten or boxing glove, esp. when stuffed.
- (n.) Anything used in muffling; esp., a scarf for protecting the head and neck in cold weather; a tippet.
- (n.) A cushion for terminating or softening a note made by a stringed instrument with a keyboard.
- (n.) Any of various devices to deaden the noise of escaping gases or vapors, as a tube filled with obstructions, through which the exhaust gases of an internal-combustion engine, as on an automobile, are passed (called also silencer).
• Muffing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Muff