• Muffle Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To prevent seeing, or hearing, or speaking, by wraps bound about the head; to blindfold; to deafen.
- (n.) The bare end of the nose between the nostrils; -- used esp. of ruminants.
- (v. i.) To speak indistinctly, or without clear articulation.
- (v. t.) A pulley block containing several sheaves.
- (v. t.) Anything with which another thing, as an oar or drum, is muffled; also, a boxing glove; a muff.
- (v. t.) A small oven for baking and fixing the colors of painted or printed pottery, without exposing the pottery to the flames of the furnace or kiln.
- (v. t.) An earthenware compartment or oven, often shaped like a half cylinder, used in furnaces to protect objects heated from the direct action of the fire, as in scorification of ores, cupellation of ore buttons, etc.
- (v. t.) To wrap up in something that conceals or protects; to wrap, as the face and neck, in thick and disguising folds; hence, to conceal or cover the face of; to envelop; to inclose; -- often with up.
- (v. t.) To wrap with something that dulls or deadens the sound of; as, to muffle the strings of a drum, or that part of an oar which rests in the rowlock.
• Muffled Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Muffle