• Obedience Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The written precept of a superior in a religious order or congregation to a subject.
- (n.) The act of obeying, or the state of being obedient; compliance with that which is required by authority; subjection to rightful restraint or control.
- (n.) A cell (or offshoot of a larger monastery) governed by a prior.
- (n.) One of the three monastic vows.
- (n.) A following; a body of adherents; as, the Roman Catholic obedience, or the whole body of persons who submit to the authority of the pope.
- (n.) Words or actions denoting submission to authority; dutifulness.