• Operating Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Operate
• Operate Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To produce, as an effect; to cause.
- (v. i.) To perform some manual act upon a human body in a methodical manner, and usually with instruments, with a view to restore soundness or health, as in amputation, lithotomy, etc.
- (v. i.) To act or produce effect on the mind; to exert moral power or influence.
- (v. i.) To produce an appropriate physical effect; to issue in the result designed by nature; especially (Med.), to take appropriate effect on the human system.
- (v. i.) To perform a work or labor; to exert power or strengh, physical or mechanical; to act.
- (v. t.) To put into, or to continue in, operation or activity; to work; as, to operate a machine.
- (v. i.) To deal in stocks or any commodity with a view to speculative profits.