• Opposition Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The relation between two propositions when, having the same subject and predicate, they differ in quantity, or in quality, or in both; or between two propositions which have the same matter but a different form.
- (n.) Repugnance; contrariety of sentiment, interest, or purpose; antipathy.
- (n.) The situation of a heavenly body with respect to another when in the part of the heavens directly opposite to it; especially, the position of a planet or satellite when its longitude differs from that of the sun 180í; -- signified by the symbol /; as, / / /, opposition of Jupiter to the sun.
- (n.) The act of opposing; an attempt to check, restrain, or defeat; resistance.
- (n.) The state of being placed over against; situation so as to front something else.
- (n.) That which opposes; an obstacle; specifically, the aggregate of persons or things opposing; hence, in politics and parliamentary practice, the party opposed to the party in power.
• Oppositionist Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who belongs to the opposition party.