• Oppress Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To put down; to crush out; to suppress.
- (v. t.) To ravish; to violate.
- (v. t.) To impose excessive burdens upon; to overload; hence, to treat with unjust rigor or with cruelty.
- (v. t.) To produce a sensation of weight in (some part of the body); as, my lungs are oppressed by the damp air; excess of food oppresses the stomach.
• Oppressed Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Oppress
• Oppressive Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Unreasonably burdensome; unjustly severe, rigorous, or harsh; as, oppressive taxes; oppressive exactions of service; an oppressive game law.
- (a.) Using oppression; tyrannical; as, oppressive authority or commands.
- (a.) Heavy; overpowering; hard to be borne; as, oppressive grief or woe.