• Overture Definition & Synonyms
- () A proposal; an offer; a proposition formally submitted for consideration, acceptance, or rejection.
- (v. t.) To make an overture to; as, to overture a religious body on some subject.
- () A composition, for a full orchestra, designed as an introduction to an oratorio, opera, or ballet, or as an independent piece; -- called in the latter case a concert overture.
- () Disclosure; discovery; revelation.
- () An opening or aperture; a recess; a recess; a chamber.