• Pains Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Labor; toilsome effort; care or trouble taken; -- plural in form, but used with a singular or plural verb, commonly the former.
• Pain Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) See Pains, labor, effort.
- (n.) Any uneasy sensation in animal bodies, from slight uneasiness to extreme distress or torture, proceeding from a derangement of functions, disease, or injury by violence; bodily distress; bodily suffering; an ache; a smart.
- (n.) To put to bodily uneasiness or anguish; to afflict with uneasy sensations of any degree of intensity; to torment; to torture; as, his dinner or his wound pained him; his stomach pained him.
- (n.) Specifically, the throes or travail of childbirth.
- (n.) To inflict suffering upon as a penalty; to punish.
- (n.) Uneasiness of mind; mental distress; disquietude; anxiety; grief; solicitude; anguish.
- (n.) To render uneasy in mind; to disquiet; to distress; to grieve; as a childs faults pain his parents.
- (n.) Punishment suffered or denounced; suffering or evil inflicted as a punishment for crime, or connected with the commission of a crime; penalty.
• Painsworthy Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Worth the pains or care bestowed.
• Painstaker Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who takes pains; one careful and faithful in all work.