• Painting Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A depicting by words; vivid representation in words.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Paint
- (n.) The work of the painter; also, any work of art in which objects are represented in color on a flat surface; a colored representation of any object or scene; a picture.
- (n.) The act or employment of laying on, or adorning with, paints or colors.
- (n.) Color laid on; paint.
• Paint Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) Fig.: To represent or exhibit to the mind; to describe vividly; to delineate; to image; to depict.
- (n.) A cosmetic; rouge.
- (n.) A pigment or coloring substance.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To color, stain, or tinge; to adorn or beautify with colors; to diversify with colors.
- (v. t.) To color ones face by way of beautifying it.
- (v. t.) To cover with coloring matter; to apply paint to; as, to paint a house, a signboard, etc.
- (v. t.) To form in colors a figure or likeness of on a flat surface, as upon canvas; to represent by means of colors or hues; to exhibit in a tinted image; to portray with paints; as, to paint a portrait or a landscape.
- (v. t.) To practice the art of painting; as, the artist paints well.
- (n.) The same prepared with a vehicle, as oil, water with gum, or the like, for application to a surface.