• Palm Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To "grease the palm" of; to bribe or tip.
- (n.) A branch or leaf of the palm, anciently borne or worn as a symbol of victory or rejoicing.
- (n.) A lineal measure equal either to the breadth of the hand or to its length from the wrist to the ends of the fingers; a hand; -- used in measuring a horses height.
- (n.) The flat inner face of an anchor fluke.
- (v. t.) To handle.
- (n.) Any symbol or token of superiority, success, or triumph; also, victory; triumph; supremacy.
- (n.) The inner and somewhat concave part of the hand between the bases of the fingers and the wrist.
- (v. t.) To impose by fraud, as by sleight of hand; to put by unfair means; -- usually with off.
- (v. t.) To manipulate with, or conceal in, the palm of the hand; to juggle.
- (n.) The broad flattened part of an antler, as of a full-grown fallow deer; -- so called as resembling the palm of the hand with its protruding fingers.
- (n.) Any endogenous tree of the order Palmae or Palmaceae; a palm tree.
- (n.) A metallic disk, attached to a strap, and worn the palm of the hand, -- used to push the needle through the canvas, in sewing sails, etc.
• Palm Sunday Definition & Synonyms
- () The Sunday next before Easter; -- so called in commemoration of our Saviors triumphal entry into Jerusalem, when the multitude strewed palm branches in the way.