• Parallel Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) That arrangement of an electrical system in which all positive poles, electrodes, terminals, etc., are joined to one conductor, and all negative poles, etc., to another conductor; -- called also multiple. Opposed to series.
- (v. t.) To equal; to match; to correspond to.
- (n.) A character consisting of two parallel vertical lines (thus, ) used in the text to direct attention to a similarly marked note in the margin or at the foot of a page.
- (n.) A line which, throughout its whole extent, is equidistant from another line; a parallel line, a parallel plane, etc.
- (v. t.) To produce or adduce as a parallel.
- (v. i.) To be parallel; to correspond; to be like.
- (a.) Continuing a resemblance through many particulars; applicable in all essential parts; like; similar; as, a parallel case; a parallel passage.
- (n.) Direction conformable to that of another line,
- (n.) One of a series of long trenches constructed before a besieged fortress, by the besieging force, as a cover for troops supporting the attacking batteries. They are roughly parallel to the line of outer defenses of the fortress.
- (a.) Extended in the same direction, and in all parts equally distant; as, parallel lines; parallel planes.
- (n.) A comparison made; elaborate tracing of similarity; as, Johnsons parallel between Dryden and Pope.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To make to conform to something else in character, motive, aim, or the like.
- (n.) Anything equal to, or resembling, another in all essential particulars; a counterpart.
- (n.) Conformity continued through many particulars or in all essential points; resemblance; similarity.
- (a.) Having the same direction or tendency; running side by side; being in accordance (with); tending to the same result; -- used with to and with.
- (v. t.) To place or set so as to be parallel; to place so as to be parallel to, or to conform in direction with, something else.
- (n.) One of the imaginary circles on the surface of the earth, parallel to the equator, marking the latitude; also, the corresponding line on a globe or map.
• Parallel sulcus Definition & Synonyms
- () A sulcus parallel to, but some distance below, the horizontal limb of the fissure of Sylvius.
• Parallel vise Definition & Synonyms
- () A vise with jaws so guided as to remain parallel.