• Parasite Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An animal which steals the food of another, as the parasitic jager.
- (n.) An animal which lives during the whole or part of its existence on or in the body of some other animal, feeding upon its food, blood, or tissues, as lice, tapeworms, etc.
- (n.) An animal which habitually uses the nest of another, as the cowbird and the European cuckoo.
- (n.) A plant living on or within an animal, and supported at its expense, as many species of fungi of the genus Torrubia.
- (n.) One who frequents the tables of the rich, or who lives at anothers expense, and earns his welcome by flattery; a hanger-on; a toady; a sycophant.
- (n.) A plant obtaining nourishment immediately from other plants to which it attaches itself, and whose juices it absorbs; -- sometimes, but erroneously, called epiphyte.