• Pardoning Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Pardon
- (a.) Relating to pardon; having or exercising the right to pardon; willing to pardon; merciful; as, the pardoning power; a pardoning God.
• Pardon Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) A release, by a sovereign, or officer having jurisdiction, from the penalties of an offense, being distinguished from amenesty, which is a general obliteration and canceling of a particular line of past offenses.
- (v. t.) An official warrant of remission of penalty.
- (v. t.) The act of pardoning; forgiveness, as of an offender, or of an offense; release from penalty; remission of punishment; absolution.
- (v. t.) The state of being forgiven.
- (v. t.) To absolve from the consequences of a fault or the punishment of crime; to free from penalty; -- applied to the offender.
- (v. t.) To remit the penalty of; to suffer to pass without punishment; to forgive; -- applied to offenses.
- (v. t.) To refrain from exacting as a penalty.
- (v. t.) To give leave (of departure) to.