• Pastoral Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to shepherds; hence, relating to rural life and scenes; as, a pastoral life.
- (n.) A letter of a pastor to his charge; specifically, a letter addressed by a bishop to his diocese; also (Prot. Epis. Ch.), a letter of the House of Bishops, to be read in each parish.
- (a.) Relating to the care of souls, or to the pastor of a church; as, pastoral duties; a pastoral letter.
- (n.) A cantata relating to rural life; a composition for instruments characterized by simplicity and sweetness; a lyrical composition the subject of which is taken from rural life.
- (n.) A poem describing the life and manners of shepherds; a poem in which the speakers assume the character of shepherds; an idyl; a bucolic.
• Pastorale Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A composition in a soft, rural style, generally in 6-8 or 12-8 time.
- (n.) A kind of dance; a kind of figure used in a dance.