• Patriarch Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A dignitary superior to the order of archbishops; as, the patriarch of Constantinople, of Alexandria, or of Antioch.
- (n.) The father and ruler of a family; one who governs his family or descendants by paternal right; -- usually applied to heads of families in ancient history, especially in Biblical and Jewish history to those who lived before the time of Moses.
- (n.) A venerable old man; an elder. Also used figuratively.
• Patriarchal Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to a patriarch or to patriarchs; possessed by, or subject to, patriarchs; as, patriarchal authority or jurisdiction; a patriarchal see; a patriarchal church.
- (a.) Having an organization of society and government in which the head of the family exercises authority over all its generations.
- (a.) Characteristic of a patriarch; venerable.