• Patrol Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) See Boy Scout.
- (v.) t To go the rounds of, as a sentry, guard, or policeman; as, to patrol a frontier; to patrol a beat.
- (v. i.) Any perambulation of a particular line or district to guard it; also, the men thus guarding; as, a customs patrol; a fire patrol.
- (v. i.) The guard or men who go the rounds for observation; a detachment whose duty it is to patrol.
- (v. i.) A going of the rounds along the chain of sentinels and between the posts, by a guard, usually consisting of three or four men, to insure greater security from attacks on the outposts.
- (v. i.) A movement, by a small body of troops beyond the line of outposts, to explore the country and gain intelligence of the enemys whereabouts.
- (v. i.) To go the rounds along a chain of sentinels; to traverse a police district or beat.
• Patrolmen Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Patrolman