• Pawn Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) State of being pledged; a pledge for the fulfillment of a promise.
- (n.) A stake hazarded in a wager.
- (v. t.) To pledge for the fulfillment of a promise; to stake; to risk; to wager; to hazard.
- (n.) Anything delivered or deposited as security, as for the payment of money borrowed, or of a debt; a pledge. See Pledge, n., 1.
- (n.) See Pan, the masticatory.
- (n.) A man or piece of the lowest rank.
- (v. t.) To give or deposit in pledge, or as security for the payment of money borrowed; to put in pawn; to pledge; as, to pawn ones watch.
• Pawnbroking Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The business of a pawnbroker.
• Pawnees Definition & Synonyms
- (n. pl.) A tribe of Indians (called also Loups) who formerly occupied the region of the Platte river, but now live mostly in the Indian Territory. The term is often used in a wider sense to include also the related tribes of Rickarees and Wichitas. Called also Pani.