• Paying Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Pay
• Pay Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Satisfaction; content.
- (v. t.) Hence, figuratively: To compensate justly; to requite according to merit; to reward; to punish; to retort or retaliate upon.
- (v. i.) Hence, to make or secure suitable return for expense or trouble; to be remunerative or profitable; to be worth the effort or pains required; as, it will pay to ride; it will pay to wait; politeness always pays.
- (v. t.) To discharge, as a debt, demand, or obligation, by giving or doing what is due or required; to deliver the amount or value of to the person to whom it is owing; to discharge a debt by delivering (money owed).
- (v. t.) To satisfy, or content; specifically, to satisfy (another person) for service rendered, property delivered, etc.; to discharge ones obligation to; to make due return to; to compensate; to remunerate; to recompense; to requite; as, to pay workmen or servants.
- (v. t.) To discharge or fulfill, as a duy; to perform or render duty, as that which has been promised.
- (v. t.) To cover, as bottom of a vessel, a seam, a spar, etc., with tar or pitch, or waterproof composition of tallow, resin, etc.; to smear.
- (n.) An equivalent or return for money due, goods purchased, or services performed; salary or wages for work or service; compensation; recompense; payment; hire; as, the pay of a clerk; the pay of a soldier.
- (v. t.) To give or offer, without an implied obligation; as, to pay attention; to pay a visit.
- (v. i.) To give a recompense; to make payment, requital, or satisfaction; to discharge a debt.