• Penal Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Incurring punishment; subject to a penalty; as, a penalact of offense.
- (a.) Enacting or threatening punishment; as, a penal statue; the penal code.
- (a.) Inflicted as punishment; used as a means of punishment; as, a penal colony or settlement.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to punishment, to penalties, or to crimes and offenses; pertaining to criminal jurisprudence
• Penalize Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To make penal.
- (v. t.) To put a penalty on. See Penalty, 3.