• Penal Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Incurring punishment; subject to a penalty; as, a penalact of offense.
- (a.) Enacting or threatening punishment; as, a penal statue; the penal code.
- (a.) Inflicted as punishment; used as a means of punishment; as, a penal colony or settlement.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to punishment, to penalties, or to crimes and offenses; pertaining to criminal jurisprudence
• Penalty Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A handicap.
- (n.) The suffering, or the sum to be forfeited, to which a person subjects himself by covenant or agreement, in case of nonfulfillment of stipulations; forfeiture; fine.
- (n.) Penal retribution; punishment for crime or offense; the suffering in person or property which is annexed by law or judicial decision to the commission of a crime, offense, or trespass.
• Penally Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a penal manner.