• Pepper Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The plant which yields pepper, an East Indian woody climber (Piper nigrum), with ovate leaves and apetalous flowers in spikes opposite the leaves. The berries are red when ripe. Also, by extension, any one of the several hundred species of the genus Piper, widely dispersed throughout the tropical and subtropical regions of the earth.
- (v. t.) To sprinkle or season with pepper.
- (n.) Any plant of the genus Capsicum, and its fruit; red pepper; as, the bell pepper.
- (v. i.) To fire numerous shots (at).
- (v. t.) Figuratively: To shower shot or other missiles, or blows, upon; to pelt; to fill with shot, or cover with bruises or wounds.
- (n.) A well-known, pungently aromatic condiment, the dried berry, either whole or powdered, of the Piper nigrum.
• Peppered Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Pepper