• Philosophy Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A treatise on philosophy.
- (n.) A particular philosophical system or theory; the hypothesis by which particular phenomena are explained.
- (n.) Practical wisdom; calmness of temper and judgment; equanimity; fortitude; stoicism; as, to meet misfortune with philosophy.
- (n.) The course of sciences read in the schools.
- (n.) Reasoning; argumentation.
- (n.) Literally, the love of, including the search after, wisdom; in actual usage, the knowledge of phenomena as explained by, and resolved into, causes and reasons, powers and laws.