• Pined Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Pine
• Pin Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An ornament, as a brooch or badge, fastened to the clothing by a pin; as, a Masonic pin.
- (n.) Mood; humor.
- (n.) That which resembles a pin in its form or use
- (n.) Especially, a small, pointed and headed piece of brass or other wire (commonly tinned), largely used for fastening clothes, attaching papers, etc.
- (n.) A peg in musical instruments, for increasing or relaxing the tension of the strings.
- (n.) A rolling-pin.
- (n.) The tenon of a dovetail joint.
- (n.) Caligo. See Caligo.
- (n.) A linchpin.
- (n.) The leg; as, to knock one off his pins.
- (n.) A piece of wood, metal, etc., generally cylindrical, used for fastening separate articles together, or as a support by which one article may be suspended from another; a peg; a bolt.
- (n.) Hence, a thing of small value; a trifle.
- (n.) A clothespin.
- (n.) One of a row of pegs in the side of an ancient drinking cup to mark how much each man should drink.
- (n.) A short shaft, sometimes forming a bolt, a part of which serves as a journal.
- (n.) The bulls eye, or center, of a target; hence, the center.
- (v. t.) To inclose; to confine; to pen; to pound.
- (v. t.) To peen.
- (n.) To fasten with, or as with, a pin; to join; as, to pin a garment; to pin boards together.
• Pine Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Woe; torment; pain.
- (n.) A pineapple.
- (n.) Any tree of the coniferous genus Pinus. See Pinus.
- (v.) To grieve or mourn for.
- (v. i.) To suffer; to be afflicted.
- (n.) The wood of the pine tree.
- (v.) To inflict pain upon; to torment; to torture; to afflict.
- (v. i.) To languish; to lose flesh or wear away, under any distress or anexiety of mind; to droop; -- often used with away.
- (v. i.) To languish with desire; to waste away with longing for something; -- usually followed by for.
• Pinedrops Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A reddish herb (Pterospora andromedea) of the United States, found parasitic on the roots of pine trees.