• Plane Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) Of a boat, to lift more or less out of the water while in motion, after the manner of a hydroplane; to hydroplane.
- (a.) To make smooth; to level; to pare off the inequalities of the surface of, as of a board or other piece of wood, by the use of a plane; as, to plane a plank.
- (n.) Any tree of the genus Platanus.
- (a.) Without elevations or depressions; even; level; flat; lying in, or constituting, a plane; as, a plane surface.
- (a.) A tool for smoothing boards or other surfaces of wood, for forming moldings, etc. It consists of a smooth-soled stock, usually of wood, from the under side or face of which projects slightly the steel cutting edge of a chisel, called the iron, which inclines backward, with an apperture in front for the escape of shavings; as, the jack plane; the smoothing plane; the molding plane, etc.
- (a.) A block or plate having a perfectly flat surface, used as a standard of flatness; a surface plate.
- (a.) A surface, real or imaginary, in which, if any two points are taken, the straight line which joins them lies wholly in that surface; or a surface, any section of which by a like surface is a straight line; a surface without curvature.
- (a.) An ideal surface, conceived as coinciding with, or containing, some designated astronomical line, circle, or other curve; as, the plane of an orbit; the plane of the ecliptic, or of the equator.
- (a.) Figuratively, to make plain or smooth.
- (a.) To efface or remove.
• Planer Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A wooden block used for forcing down the type in a form, and making the surface even.
- (n.) One who, or that which, planes; a planing machine; esp., a machine for planing wood or metals.
• Planet Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A celestial body which revolves about the sun in an orbit of a moderate degree of eccentricity. It is distinguished from a comet by the absence of a coma, and by having a less eccentric orbit. See Solar system.
- (n.) A star, as influencing the fate of a men.