• Planking Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of laying planks; also, planks, collectively; a series of planks in place, as the wooden covering of the frame of a vessel.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Plank
- (n.) The act of splicing slivers. See Plank, v. t., 4.
• Plank Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A broad piece of sawed timber, differing from a board only in being thicker. See Board.
- (v. t.) To lay down, as on a plank or table; to stake or pay cash; as, to plank money in a wager.
- (v. t.) To splice together the ends of slivers of wool, for subsequent drawing.
- (v. t.) To harden, as hat bodies, by felting.
- (n.) Fig.: That which supports or upholds, as a board does a swimmer.
- (v. t.) To cover or lay with planks; as, to plank a floor or a ship.
- (n.) One of the separate articles in a declaration of the principles of a party or cause; as, a plank in the national platform.