• Pleading Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Plead
- (n.) The act of advocating, defending, or supporting, a cause by arguments.
• Plead Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To present an answer, by allegation of fact, to the declaration of a plaintiff; to deny the plaintiffs declaration and demand, or to allege facts which show that ought not to recover in the suit; in a less strict sense, to make an allegation of fact in a cause; to carry on the allegations of the respective parties in a cause; to carry on a suit or plea.
- (v. t.) To contend; to struggle.
- (v. t.) To argue in support of a claim, or in defense against the claim of another; to urge reasons for or against a thing; to attempt to persuade one by argument or supplication; to speak by way of persuasion; as, to plead for the life of a criminal; to plead with a judge or with a father.
- () of Plead
- (v. t.) To discuss, defend, and attempt to maintain by arguments or reasons presented to a tribunal or person having uthority to determine; to argue at the bar; as, to plead a cause before a court or jury.
- (v. t.) To allege or adduce in proof, support, or vendication; to offer in excuse; as, the law of nations may be pleaded in favor of the rights of ambassadors.
- (v. t.) To allege or cite in a legal plea or defense, or for repelling a demand in law; to answer to an indictment; as, to plead usury; to plead statute of limitations; to plead not guilty.
• Pleadings Definition & Synonyms
- (n. pl.) The mutual pleas and replies of the plaintiff and defendant, or written statements of the parties in support of their claims, proceeding from the declaration of the plaintiff, until issue is joined, and the question made to rest on some single point.
• Pleadingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a pleading manner.