• Plumb Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Perpendicular; vertical; conforming the direction of a line attached to a plumb; as, the wall is plumb.
- (v. t.) To sound with a plumb or plummet, as the depth of water; hence, to examine by test; to ascertain the depth, quality, dimension, etc.; to sound; to fathom; to test.
- (v. t.) To adjust by a plumb line; to cause to be perpendicular; as, to plumb a building or a wall.
- (n.) A little mass or weight of lead, or the like, attached to a line, and used by builders, etc., to indicate a vertical direction; a plummet; a plumb bob. See Plumb line, below.
- (adv.) In a plumb direction; perpendicularly.
- (v. t.) To supply, as a building, with a system of plumbing.
- (v. t.) To seal with lead; as, to plumb a drainpipe.
• Plumbago Definition & Synonyms
Synonyms: Black lead
- (n.) Same as Graphite.
- (n.) A genus of herbaceous plants with pretty salver-shaped corollas, usually blue or violet; leadwort.
• Plumbagin Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A crystalline substance said to be found in the root of a certain plant of the Leadwort (Plumbago) family.