• Pluming Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Plume
• Plum Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Something likened to a plum in desirableness; a good or choice thing of its kind, as among appointments, positions, parts of a book, etc.
- (n.) A grape dried in the sun; a raisin.
- (n.) A handsome fortune or property; formerly, in cant language, the sum of ú100,000 sterling; also, the person possessing it.
- (n.) The edible drupaceous fruit of the Prunus domestica, and of several other species of Prunus; also, the tree itself, usually called plum tree.
• Plume Definition & Synonyms
- (v.) A token of honor or prowess; that on which one prides himself; a prize or reward.
- (v.) A feather, or group of feathers, worn as an ornament; a waving ornament of hair, or other material resembling feathers.
- (v.) An ornamental tuft of feathers.
- (v.) A feather; esp., a soft, downy feather, or a long, conspicuous, or handsome feather.
- (v.) A large and flexible panicle of inflorescence resembling a feather, such as is seen in certain large ornamental grasses.
- (v. t.) To adorn with feathers or plumes.
- (v. t.) To strip of feathers; to pluck; to strip; to pillage; also, to peel.
- (v. t.) To pick and adjust the plumes or feathers of; to dress or prink.
- (v. t.) To pride; to vaunt; to boast; -- used reflexively; as, he plumes himself on his skill.