• Plunging Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Plunge
• Plunge Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of thrusting into or submerging; a dive, leap, rush, or pitch into, or as into, water; as, to take the water with a plunge.
- (n.) Hence, a desperate hazard or act; a state of being submerged or overwhelmed with difficulties.
- (v. t.) To baptize by immersion.
- (v. t.) To entangle; to embarrass; to overcome.
- (v. i.) To pitch or throw ones self headlong or violently forward, as a horse does.
- (n.) Heavy and reckless betting in horse racing; hazardous speculation.
- (n.) The act of pitching or throwing ones self headlong or violently forward, like an unruly horse.
- (v. i.) To bet heavily and with seeming recklessness on a race, or other contest; in an extended sense, to risk large sums in hazardous speculations.
- (v. t.) To thrust into water, or into any substance that is penetrable; to immerse; to cause to penetrate or enter quickly and forcibly; to thrust; as, to plunge the body into water; to plunge a dagger into the breast. Also used figuratively; as, to plunge a nation into war.
- (v. i.) To thrust or cast ones self into water or other fluid; to submerge ones self; to dive, or to rush in; as, he plunged into the river. Also used figuratively; as, to plunge into debt.