• Polish Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to Poland or its inhabitants.
- (v. t.) To make smooth and glossy, usually by friction; to burnish; to overspread with luster; as, to polish glass, marble, metals, etc.
- (n.) A smooth, glossy surface, usually produced by friction; a gloss or luster.
- (n.) Anything used to produce a gloss.
- (n.) The language of the Poles.
- (v. i.) To become smooth, as from friction; to receive a gloss; to take a smooth and glossy surface; as, steel polishes well.
- (n.) Fig.: Refinement; elegance of manners.
- (v. t.) Hence, to refine; to wear off the rudeness, coarseness, or rusticity of; to make elegant and polite; as, to polish life or manners.
• Polisher Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, polishes; also, that which is used in polishing.