• Poll Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Specifically, the register of the names of electors who may vote in an election.
- (n.) The casting or recording of the votes of registered electors; as, the close of the poll.
- (v. t.) To extort from; to plunder; to strip.
- (n.) A parrot; -- familiarly so called.
- (v. t.) To pay as ones personal tax.
- (v. t.) To register or deposit, as a vote; to elicit or call forth, as votes or voters; as, he polled a hundred votes more than his opponent.
- (n.) The place where the votes are cast or recorded; as, to go to the polls.
- (v. t.) To cut off; to remove by clipping, shearing, etc.; to mow or crop; -- sometimes with off; as, to poll the hair; to poll wool; to poll grass.
- (v. i.) To vote at an election.
- (v. t.) To impose a tax upon.
- (v. t.) To remove the poll or head of; hence, to remove the top or end of; to clip; to lop; to shear; as, to poll the head; to poll a tree.
- (v. t.) To cut or shave smooth or even; to cut in a straight line without indentation; as, a polled deed. See Dee/ poll.
- (v. t.) To enter, as polls or persons, in a list or register; to enroll, esp. for purposes of taxation; to enumerate one by one.
- (n.) The head; the back part of the head.
- (n.) The European chub. See Pollard, 3 (a).
- (n.) A number or aggregate of heads; a list or register of heads or individuals.
- (n.) The broad end of a hammer; the but of an ax.
- (n.) One who does not try for honors, but is content to take a degree merely; a passman.
• Poller Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who polls; specifically: (a) One who polls or lops trees. (b) One who polls or cuts hair; a barber. [R.] (c) One who extorts or plunders. [Obs.] Baex. (d) One who registplws votplws, or one who enters his name as a voter.
• Polliwig Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Alt. of Polliwog