• Poor Definition & Synonyms
- (superl.) Destitute of fertility; exhausted; barren; sterile; -- said of land; as, poor soil.
- (superl.) So completely destitute of property as to be entitled to maintenance from the public.
- (superl.) Wanting in strength or vigor; feeble; dejected; as, poor health; poor spirits.
- (superl.) Inadequate; insufficient; insignificant; as, a poor excuse.
- (n.) A small European codfish (Gadus minutus); -- called also power cod.
- (superl.) Of little value or worth; not good; inferior; shabby; mean; as, poor clothes; poor lodgings.
- (superl.) Free from self-assertion; not proud or arrogant; meek.
- (superl.) Destitute of beauty, fitness, or merit; as, a poor discourse; a poor picture.
- (superl.) Worthy of pity or sympathy; -- used also sometimes as a term of endearment, or as an expression of modesty, and sometimes as a word of contempt.
- (superl.) Destitute of such qualities as are desirable, or might naturally be expected
- (superl.) Destitute of property; wanting in material riches or goods; needy; indigent.
- (superl.) Wanting in fat, plumpness, or fleshiness; lean; emaciated; meager; as, a poor horse, ox, dog, etc.
- (superl.) Without prosperous conditions or good results; unfavorable; unfortunate; unconformable; as, a poor business; the sick man had a poor night.
• Poorliness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The quality or state of being poorly; ill health.
• Poor-john Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A small European fish, similar to the cod, but of inferior quality.