• Popular Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Beloved or approved by the people; pleasing to people in general, or to many people; as, a popular preacher; a popular law; a popular administration.
- (a.) Devoted to the common people; studious of the favor of the populace.
- (a.) Prevailing among the people; epidemic; as, a popular disease.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the common people, or to the whole body of the people, as distinguished from a select portion; as, the popular voice; popular elections.
- (a.) Suitable to common people; easy to be comprehended; not abstruse; familiar; plain.
- (a.) Adapted to the means of the common people; possessed or obtainable by the many; hence, cheap; common; ordinary; inferior; as, popular prices; popular amusements.
• Populares Definition & Synonyms
- (n. pl.) The people or the peoples party, in ancient Rome, as opposed to the optimates.