• Positive Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Designating, or pertaining to, a motion or device in which the movement derived from a driver, or the grip or hold of a restraining piece, is communicated through an unyielding intermediate piece or pieces; as, a claw clutch is a positive clutch, while a friction clutch is not.
- (a.) Designating a method of steering or turning in which the steering wheels move so that they describe concentric arcs in making a turn, to insure freedom from side slip or harmful resistance.
- (a.) Designating, or pertaining to, a device giving a to-and-fro motion; as, a positive dobby.
- (n.) That which settles by absolute appointment.
- (a.) Definitely laid down; explicitly stated; clearly expressed; -- opposed to implied; as, a positive declaration or promise.
- (a.) Derived from an object by itself; not dependent on changing circumstances or relations; absolute; -- opposed to relative; as, the idea of beauty is not positive, but depends on the different tastes individuals.
- (n.) The positive plate of a voltaic or electrolytic cell.
- (a.) Electro-positive.
- (n.) A picture in which the lights and shades correspond in position with those of the original, instead of being reversed, as in a negative.
- (n.) The positive degree or form.
- (a.) Corresponding with the original in respect to the position of lights and shades, instead of having the lights and shades reversed; as, a positive picture.
- (a.) Having the power of direct action or influence; as, a positive voice in legislation.
- (a.) Having a real position, existence, or energy; existing in fact; real; actual; -- opposed to negative.
- (n.) That which is capable of being affirmed; reality.
- (a.) Hence: Not admitting of any doubt, condition, qualification, or discretion; not dependent on circumstances or probabilities; not speculative; compelling assent or obedience; peremptory; indisputable; decisive; as, positive instructions; positive truth; positive proof.
- (a.) Fully assured; confident; certain; sometimes, overconfident; dogmatic; overbearing; -- said of persons.
- (a.) Hence, basic; metallic; not acid; -- opposed to negative, and said of metals, bases, and basic radicals.
- (a.) Prescribed by express enactment or institution; settled by arbitrary appointment; said of laws.
• Positiveness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The quality or state of being positive; reality; actualness; certainty; confidence; peremptoriness; dogmatism. See Positive, a.