• Pot Definition & Synonyms
- () Alt. of race
- (v. i.) To take a pot shot or shots, as at game or an enemy.
- (n.) The total of the bets at one time; the pool.
- (v. t.) To secure; gain; win; bag.
- (n.) The total of the bets at stake at one time, as in racing or card playing; the pool;
- (n.) A plain defensive headpiece; later, and perhaps in a jocose sense, any helmet; -- called also pot helmet.
- (n.) a horse heavily backed; a favorite.
- (v. t.) To shoot for the pot, i.e., cooking; to secure or hit by a pot shot; to shoot when no special skill is needed.
- (n.) A size of paper. See Pott.
- (v. t.) To pocket.
- (n.) A perforated cask for draining sugar.
- (v. t.) To place or inclose in pots
- (n.) A metal or earthenware extension of a flue above the top of a chimney; a chimney pot.
- (n.) The quantity contained in a pot; a potful; as, a pot of ale.
- (v. t.) To set out or cover in pots; as, potted plants or bulbs.
- (v. t.) To preserve seasoned in pots.
- (n.) A metallic or earthen vessel, appropriated to any of a great variety of uses, as for boiling meat or vegetables, for holding liquids, for plants, etc.; as, a quart pot; a flower pot; a bean pot.
- (n.) A wicker vessel for catching fish, eels, etc.
- (n.) A crucible; as, a graphite pot; a melting pot.
- (v. t.) To drain; as, to pot sugar, by taking it from the cooler, and placing it in hogsheads, etc., having perforated heads, through which the molasses drains off.
- (n.) An earthen or pewter cup for liquors; a mug.
- (v. i.) To tipple; to drink.
, Bay window
• Pot lace Definition & Synonyms
- () Lace whose pattern includes one or more representations of baskets or bowls from which flowers spring.
• Potagro Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) See Potargo.