• Pounce Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To strike or seize with the talons; to pierce, as with the talons.
- (v. t.) A punch or stamp.
- (n.) Charcoal dust, or some other colored powder for making patterns through perforated designs, -- used by embroiderers, lace makers, etc.
- (v. t.) Cloth worked in eyelet holes.
- (v. t.) The claw or talon of a bird of prey.
- (v. t.) To sprinkle or rub with pounce; as, to pounce paper, or a pattern.
- (v. t.) To punch; to perforate; to stamp holes in, or dots on, by way of ornament.
- (n.) A fine powder, as of sandarac, or cuttlefish bone, -- formerly used to prevent ink from spreading on manuscript.
- (v. i.) To fall suddenly and seize with the claws; -- with on or upon; as, a hawk pounces upon a chicken. Also used figuratively.
• Pounced Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Ornamented with perforations or dots.
- (a.) Furnished with claws or talons; as, the pounced young of the eagle.