• Pound Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To strike heavy blows; to beat.
- (v. t.) To strike repeatedly with some heavy instrument; to beat.
- (n.) A kind of net, having a large inclosure with a narrow entrance into which fish are directed by wings spreading outward.
- (pl. ) of Pound
- (n.) A British denomination of money of account, equivalent to twenty shillings sterling, and equal in value to about $4.86. There is no coin known by this name, but the gold sovereign is of the same value.
- (n.) A level stretch in a canal between locks.
- (v. t.) To comminute and pulverize by beating; to bruise or break into fine particles with a pestle or other heavy instrument; as, to pound spice or salt.
- (n.) A certain specified weight; especially, a legal standard consisting of an established number of ounces.
- (v. t.) To confine in, or as in, a pound; to impound.
- (n.) An inclosure, maintained by public authority, in which cattle or other animals are confined when taken in trespassing, or when going at large in violation of law; a pinfold.
- (v. i.) To make a jarring noise, as in running; as, the engine pounds.
• Pounded Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Pounce
- (imp. & p. p.) of Pound
• Pounder Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A person or thing, so called with reference to a certain number of pounds in value, weight, capacity, etc.; as, a cannon carrying a twelve-pound ball is called a twelve pounder.
- (n.) One who, or that which, pounds, as a stamp in an ore mill.
- (n.) An instrument used for pounding; a pestle.
• Poundcake Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A kind of rich, sweet cake; -- so called from the ingredients being used by pounds, or in equal quantities.