• Poundage Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Confinement of cattle, or other animals, in a public pound.
- (n.) A subsidy of twelve pence in the pound, formerly granted to the crown on all goods exported or imported, and if by aliens, more.
- (n.) A sum deducted from a pound, or a certain sum paid for each pound; a commission.
- (v. t.) To collect, as poundage; to assess, or rate, by poundage.
- (n.) A charge paid for the release of impounded cattle.
- (n.) The sum allowed to a sheriff or other officer upon the amount realized by an execution; -- estimated in England, and formerly in the United States, at so much of the pound.