• Practice Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The form, manner, and order of conducting and carrying on suits and prosecutions through their various stages, according to the principles of law and the rules laid down by the courts.
- (v. t.) To teach or accustom by practice; to train.
- (v. i.) To apply theoretical science or knowledge, esp. by way of experiment; to exercise or pursue an employment or profession, esp. that of medicine or of law.
- (n.) Actual performance; application of knowledge; -- opposed to theory.
- (n.) Application of science to the wants of men; the exercise of any profession; professional business; as, the practice of medicine or law; a large or lucrative practice.
- (v. t.) To make use of; to employ.
- (v. i.) To learn by practice; to form a habit.
- (v. t.) To exercise ones self in, for instruction or improvement, or to acquire discipline or dexterity; as, to practice gunnery; to practice music.
- (v. t.) To put into practice; to carry out; to act upon; to commit; to execute; to do.
- (n.) Skillful or artful management; dexterity in contrivance or the use of means; art; stratagem; artifice; plot; -- usually in a bad sense.
- (n.) A easy and concise method of applying the rules of arithmetic to questions which occur in trade and business.
- (v. i.) To perform certain acts frequently or customarily, either for instruction, profit, or amusement; as, to practice with the broadsword or with the rifle; to practice on the piano.
- (n.) Systematic exercise for instruction or discipline; as, the troops are called out for practice; she neglected practice in music.
- (v. t.) To exercise, or follow, as a profession, trade, art, etc., as, to practice law or medicine.
- (n.) Skill or dexterity acquired by use; expertness.
- (v. i.) To try artifices or stratagems.
- (v. t.) To do or perform frequently, customarily, or habitually; to make a practice of; as, to practice gaming.
- (n.) Frequently repeated or customary action; habitual performance; a succession of acts of a similar kind; usage; habit; custom; as, the practice of rising early; the practice of making regular entries of accounts; the practice of daily exercise.
- (n.) Customary or constant use; state of being used.
• Practiced Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Practice
- (a.) Experienced; expert; skilled; as, a practiced marksman.
- (a.) Used habitually; learned by practice.