• Prelude Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To serve as prelude to; to precede as introductory.
- (v. t.) To introduce with a previous performance; to play or perform a prelude to; as, to prelude a concert with a lively air.
- (v. i.) To play an introduction or prelude; to give a prefatory performance; to serve as prelude.
- (v. t.) An introductory performance, preceding and preparing for the principal matter; a preliminary part, movement, strain, etc.; especially (Mus.), a strain introducing the theme or chief subject; a movement introductory to a fugue, yet independent; -- with recent composers often synonymous with overture.
• Preluder Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, preludes; one who plays a prelude.