• Prevailing Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Predominant; prevalent; most general; as, the prevailing disease of a climate; a prevailing opinion.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Prevail
- (a.) Having superior force or influence; efficacious; persuasive.
• Prevail Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To overcome; to gain the victory or superiority; to gain the advantage; to have the upper hand, or the mastery; to succeed; -- sometimes with over or against.
- (v. i.) To persuade or induce; -- with on, upon, or with; as, I prevailedon him to wait.
- (v. i.) To be in force; to have effect, power, or influence; to be predominant; to have currency or prevalence; to obtain; as, the practice prevails this day.
• Prevailingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) So as to prevail.