• Privy Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A necessary house or place; a backhouse.
- (a.) Admitted to knowledge of a secret transaction; secretly cognizant; privately knowing.
- (a.) Secret; clandestine.
- (a.) Appropriated to retirement; private; not open to the public.
- (n.) A partaker; a person having an interest in any action or thing; one who has an interest in an estate created by another; a person having an interest derived from a contract or conveyance to which he is not himself a party. The term, in its proper sense, is distinguished from party.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to some person exclusively; assigned to private uses; not public; private; as, the privy purse.