• Profane Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) To put to a wrong or unworthy use; to make a base employment of; to debase; to abuse; to defile.
- (a.) Treating sacred things with contempt, disrespect, irreverence, or undue familiarity; irreverent; impious.
- (a.) Irreverent in language; taking the name of God in vain; given to swearing; blasphemous; as, a profane person, word, oath, or tongue.
- (a.) Not sacred or holy; not possessing peculiar sanctity; unconsecrated; hence, relating to matters other than sacred; secular; -- opposed to sacred, religious, or inspired; as, a profane place.
- (a.) Unclean; impure; polluted; unholy.
- (a.) To violate, as anything sacred; to treat with abuse, irreverence, obloquy, or contempt; to desecrate; to pollute; as, to profane the name of God; to profane the Scriptures, or the ordinance of God.
• Profanely Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a profane manner.
• Profaned Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Profane