• Prohibit Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To hinder; to debar; to prevent; to preclude.
- (v. t.) To forbid by authority; to interdict; as, God prohibited Adam from eating of the fruit of a certain tree; we prohibit a person from doing a thing, and also the doing of the thing; as, the law prohibits men from stealing, or it prohibits stealing.
• Prohibitionist Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who favors the prohibition of the sale (or of the sale and manufacture) of alcoholic liquors as beverages.
- (n.) One who favors prohibitory duties on foreign goods in commerce; a protectionist.
• Prohibition Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Specifically, the forbidding by law of the sale of alcoholic liquors as beverages.
- (n.) The act of prohibiting; a declaration or injunction forbidding some action; interdict.