• Project Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To form a project; to scheme.
- (n.) That which is projected or designed; something intended or devised; a scheme; a design; a plan.
- (v. i.) To shoot forward; to extend beyond something else; to be prominent; to jut; as, the cornice projects; branches project from the tree.
- (n.) The place from which a thing projects, or starts forth.
- (v. t.) To draw or exhibit, as the form of anything; to delineate; as, to project a sphere, a map, an ellipse, and the like; -- sometimes with on, upon, into, etc.; as, to project a line or point upon a plane. See Projection, 4.
- (v. t.) To cast forward or revolve in the mind; to contrive; to devise; to scheme; as, to project a plan.
- (n.) An idle scheme; an impracticable design; as, a man given to projects.
- (v. t.) To throw or cast forward; to shoot forth.
• Projector Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An optical instrument for projecting a picture upon a screen, as by a magic lantern or by an instrument for projecting (by reflection instead of transmission of light) a picture of an opaque object, as photographs, picture post-cards, insects, etc., in the colors of the object itself. In this latter form the projection is accomplished by means of a combination of lenses with a prism and a mirror or reflector. Specific instruments have been called by different names, such as radiopticon, mirrorscope, balopticon, etc.
- (n.) One who projects a scheme or design; hence, one who forms fanciful or chimerical schemes.
• Projecture Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A jutting out beyond a surface.